It’s definitely harder for communists to get away with destroying our country and our country’s history thanks to cell phone videos.
They’re all getting busted from being on video.
That’s what happened to four men in D.C., who will be charged – thanks to President Trump’s monument EO – for trying to topple Andrew Jackson.
They were identified thanks to cell phone video.
Four men have been charged with destruction of federal property for allegedly trying to topple the statue of Andrew Jackson in Lafayette Square, the Department of Justice announced Saturday.
The men were identified as Lee Michael Cantrell, 47 of Virginia; Connor Matthew Judd, 20 of D.C.; Ryan Lane, 37, of Maryland; and Graham Lloyd, 37, of Maine. The DOJ says other “unidentified individuals” were also involved.
According to a statement from the U.S. Attorney’s office announcing the charges, the four men were caught on video trying to topple the statue.
Acting U.S. Attorney for D.C. Michael R. Sherwin said his office would not “stand idly by and allow our national monuments to be vandalized and destroyed.” He said while people have a First Amendment right to protest, the charges should “serve as a warning” that “violent behavior and criminal conduct will not be tolerated.”
On Monday night, a group of people scaled the Jackson statue and attempted to pull it down, before police cleared Lafayette Square using pepper spray and batons. Earlier that day, police had used pepper spray while trying to clear a collection of tents erected along H Street.
This came days after protesters tore down and burned a statue of Confederate General Albert Pike in Judiciary Square — and as people around the country have targeted statues of figures they say represent the country’s long history of racism, whether by force or by legal efforts.
President Trump has expressed his anger at the destruction of statues. He called for the arrest of protesters who tried to topple the Jackson statue, and he tweeted out the individual wanted photos of 15 people authorities suspect were involved.
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany announced the charges on Twitter. She said that the president was “prosecuting individuals tearing down our statues to the fullest extent of the law!”
Thank you, Mr. President!
Start receiving the latest news from award winning journalist, TV broadcaster and radio host Steve Gruber.
This piece was written by Missy Crane on June 29, 2020. It originally appeared in WayneDupree.com and is used by permission.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Steve Gruber.